Brand Blogging

Friday, June 16, 2006

The Starbucks bottled Frappucino line gets (over)extended

While browsing the beverage aisle today, I noticed a new addition to the Starbucks line of bottled Frappucino drinks:


Strawberries and Creme Frappuccino

My first thought was that it looks an awful lot like Nestle's Strawberry Quik. My second thought was Why are they selling this under the Starbucks label? Indeed, the bottle notes that this item is "coffee-free," making it Starbucks' first grocery item, as far as I can tell, that is in no way contains coffee. While I realize that this is a product that is based on an actual Starbucks store item (although N.B. that the grocery line is actually produced by Pepsi), it seems like an odd choice for a line extension. At least with the bottled coffee drinks (and packaged coffee and coffee-flavored ice cream) they're leveraging Starbucks' reputation as a company based on coffee; I'm not sure exactly how well this "fits" with the consumer's idea of a Starbucks product.

UPDATE: In the interest of fairness, I went out and bought one of these. It tasted like a watered-down Strawberry Quik, which costs less and gives you more (16 ounces of Quik for $1.59 versus 9.5 ounces of Starbucks for $1.79).

1 Comments:

Blogger AnJaka said...

good morning Rexx, I like your blog and I want to exchange your blog link with my link,
my blog is Arts Collections .
pls feedback to me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Google Link About Arts

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home